Thursday, December 29, 2011

the edge


some of us live on the edge. the edge of comfort, of safety, of fear, of financial ruin.

some of us find the edge inside of us - the edge of sanity, of reason, of depression and that bottomless pit.

some of us seek the edge through daring behaviors, extreme sports, exotic travel, or substance abuse.

and some of us avoid the edge at all costs. we turn away by playing it safe, staying home and following those familiar routines. by holding back.

an artist finds that edge and walks its contours. she values the views from the rim in both directions. she uses the edge as a tool to guide her work.

but the edge, itself, is indifferent to us all.

1 comment:

  1. That last line - so thought provoking. . .
    I like the gentle edge of the ocean myself. The dangers are more subtle, but no less real. I love this quote by Thoreau "My life is like a stroll on the beach . . . as near to the edge as I can go."
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete